Canon 5DS v s 6D
Canon 5DS and 6D are two advanced DSLR cameras from Canon. I have been using Canon 5DS since 2021 and Canon 6D since 2018. Both DSLRs provide incredible texture, color, shape, and form when capturing images. Though these cameras provide me with correct composition at any lighting ambient yet, after using these two, I can say Canon 5DS is better than Canon 6D. This device will meet your photography thirst and make your captivating moment outstanding. Hence, you can go with this DSRL.
WHAT MAKES CANON 5DS BETTER THAN CANON 6D?
- Canon EOS 5DS has a 50.6 CMOS sensor with a dual Digic 6 image processor to deliver powerful images. It’s the highest resolution in EOS history. It helps me step up my photography level and gives me unprecedented realistic images every time. Besides, Canon 6D is built with a 20.2-megapixel full-frame sensor, and this device also provides superb quality images, but its’ not crystal images like the 5DS; hence choosing the 6D would be your best bet.
- The 5DS is integrated with a 61-point autofocus feature, while the 6D has 11 focus points. With its incredible autofocus, I can capture photos with extra accuracy. So, 5DS would be the best bet if you are a professional photographer.
- Canon 5DS combine 1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting feature. This crop shooting feature can extend the shooting effect, which is missing on Canon 6D.
- The EOS 5DS DSLR camera is integrated with the intelligent Viewfinder II but the EOS 6D is not. Nevertheless, this Viewfinder II makes this device a sophisticated movie-making machine so I can create incredible reels. Additionally, it captures FHD video with its manual control function at multiple frame rates and compressions.
- It has a timelapse record feature, which is missing on the 6D. Moreover, it is integrated with a built-in bulb timer and intervalometer, providing fixed time-lapse shooting with long exposures without the need for remote control. I can use this device to shoot like a flower blooming or clouds drifting through the sky. Also, it saved the captured exposure moment in HD movie mode. The Timelapse video function helps me to be creative with the Canon 5DS DSLR.
- Canon 5DS is built with an anti-flicker light feature which reduces the uneven color and provides excellent shots. This feature is very handy when it comes to filming. Conversely, Canon 6D doesn’t include an anti-flicker light function.
- The 5DS has a webcam function so that you can use the camera as a webcam. Besides, the 6D doesn’t have this handy feature.
- Canon 5DS has a dual storage slot, while the 6D has a single slot. Since this device has an extra storage slot, you can take this on the go.
- It has a 5 fps shooting speed; this device can capture 50.6 MP images at high speed, ensuring picture quality, whereas Canon 6D has 4.5 fps.
I found these incredible features in Canon 5DS that make it better than Canon 6D. Hence, I recommend you choose this DSLR rather than EOS 6D.
The downside of Canon 5DS and 6D
Like everything, Canon 5DS and 6D also have some downsides that you should consider. Here are the downsides of these two devices –
- Sometimes, I face buffer issues if the device has insufficient storage. Thus, make sure you carry an extra storage card so that you can comfortably capture photos.
- Since the device has too many features, it was slightly tough when I started using Canon 5DS.
- The 5DS has a relatively lower ISO range compared to the 6D still I can capture impressive moments.
- Its’ screen is fixed; hence I cannot click tricky photos.
- The 6D has a lower frame rate and is only combined with 11 AF points.
- Canon 6D has no hot shoe cover and no LCD Screen cover. At the same time, it is not built with a headphone jack.
- The LCD screen has no auto-brightness feature.
- Canon 6D takes a longer time while setting for live view.
- The button layout takes a bit of time to adjust.
Canon 5ds vs. 6d Comparison Chart
|Specifications||Canon 5DS||Canon 6D|
|Editor’s Rating||4.7 out of 5||4.5 out of 5|
|Max Resolution||50.6 megapixels||20.2 megapixels|
|Image Processor||Dual DIGIC 6||Digic 5+|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||5||4.5|
|Battery Life||700 shots||1090 shots|
|ISO Range||100-6400 (expandable to 50-12800)||100 – 25600 in 1/3 stops, plus 50, 51200, 102400 as option|
|Screen Size||3.2 inches (fixed)||3 inches (fixed)|
|Weight||2.05 lbs||1.7 pounds|
|Dimensions||5.98 x 2.99 x 4.57 inches||5.71 x 2.8 x 4.37 inches|
Things You Should Know About Canon 5DS and 6D
- Canon 5DS supports UHS-I cards, but the 6D doesn’t support this. You can record 4K video with the UHS-I card, including FHD 1080p.
- The 5DS combines with USB 3.0, while the 6D has USB 2. And USB 3 is 10x faster than USB 2 and is simultaneously compatible with all USB 2.0 interfaces.
- The 5DS combined with dual storage so you can shoot JPEGs to one card and RAW files to another. Besides, Canon 6D has a single storage feature.
- Canon 5DS has Flash Sync Port that is not available on Canon 6D. This feature allows you to use flash synchronization. With Flash Sync, your camera can use flush at the fastest speed when the shutter is 100% open.
- The Max Mech Shutter speed of Canon 5DS is 1/8000s, which reduces the rolling shutter distortion while taking a photo. Also, A mechanical shutter on a camera with a slow sensor readout speed tends to make the effect considerably less noticeable than an electronic shutter. However, the Canon 6D’s Mechanical Shutter speed is 1/4000s.
- Canon 5DS and 6D are integrated with the external flash shoe. This feature gives better flash photography.
- They have an optical viewfinder; hence you will get better framing and control while capturing images. Also, both cameras have face detection focus which is handy for portraits.
- The 5DS and 6D have environment-sealing properties; thus, you can take the camera in any harsh weather to shoot.
- These two Canon flagship devices combine with 1080p video resolution, giving you 5x better video quality than other devices.
- Another best thing I found on the EOS 5DS and 6D is their quick control screen button feature. I can quickly access the settings for critical tasks; this is very handy for a photographer of any level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Canon 5DS suitable for Astrophotography?
Yes, this device is excellent at astrophotography. Also, this camera can capture incredible Nightscapes and Cityscapes.
Is the Canon 6D a 4K camera?
No, this is only a 20.2-megapixel camera and cannot shoot 4K.
Can I use the Canon 6D for my professional photography?
Yes, you can. This device has built-in GPS and wifi and can deliver low-noise images with natural color rendition.
Can I capture incredible images in low light with Canon 5DS?
Canon 5DS device performs well in lower light ambient. It can even capture bright photos at the lowest light level.
Which image processor does Canon 5DS have?
The 5DS uses a dual Digic 6 image processor.