Canon 6D and 5D Mark II both are sophisticated cameras with many similarities. Yet if you want to go with the best one then we strongly recommend Canon 6D.
Why We Recommend Canon 6D?
- Canon EOS 6D Mark II comes with 11 focus points, while Canon 5D Mark II has 9 focus points. The higher focus point makes the image more transparent plus helps identify the scene’s right area to capture stunning images.
- It has 102400 ISO, and the 5D mark ii ISO range is only 25600. So, its higher light sensitivity helps to capture a clear image with high resolution even in low light conditions.
- Canon 6D comes with a longer battery life which can capture 1090 shots with a single charge, which allows you to cover a whole event seamlessly. On the other hand, the 5D Mark II can take 850 photos.
- This camera has an AF tracking feature that lets you choose a subject and press the shutter to capture the moving object perfectly. On the contrary, 5D Mark II doesn’t equip with this function.
- This DSLR device comes with 4.5 fps continuous shooting speed, and the other one has 3.9 fps. However, its faster continuous shooting speed makes sure you get accurate shots while clicking a speedy subject.
These are the upgraded features in Canon 6D, that’s why we suggest Canon 6D. If you want to invest in a camera then this should be your consideration.
Similar Features of Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
- Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II screen sizes are 3 inches which is an ideal screen to ensure the user a better shooting experience.
- They have the weather-sealed option on their body that protects the device from upset weather.
- Both have CMOS sensors that helps you to capture super-sharp pictures with a high dynamic range.
If you like these similar features then you pick Canon 6D or Canon 5D. But if you want to enjoy the improved feature, you have to go with Canon 6D.
Comparison Chart: Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
|Specification||Canon 6D||Canon 5D Mark ii|
|Editors Rating||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Product Dimension||5.71 x 2.8 x 4.37 inches||5.71 x 2.95 x 4.49 inches|
|Continuous shooting speed||4.5 fps||3.5 fps|
|Battery Life||1090 shots||850 shots|
|Battery Power||1080 mah||1080 mah|
|It has an AF tracking system||Yes||No|
|It has a two-stage shutter||Yes||Yes|
|Phase detection autofocus for videos||Yes||No|
|External memory card slot||Yes||Yes|
|It has an HDMI output||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Similarities & Differences Between Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
Canon 5D Mark ii is bigger than Canon 6D. Its body is 3mm shorter and 4mm thinner than the Canon 5D Mark ii. This camera weight is 770 g, and the external dimension is 5.71 x 2.8 x 4.37 inches. Besides its competitor 5D mark ii, bodyweight is 850g, and external dimension is 5.71 x 2.95 x 4.49 inches. Canon 6D optical viewfinder is 97%, and 5D mark ii optical viewfinder is 98%.
Both camera screen sizes are 3 inches, and their screen is fixed type. You can not flip out their screen. Canon 6D screen resolution is 1040 dots, and 5D mark ii screen resolution is 920 dots. So, Canon 6D provides you with a better display than the 5D mark ii.
Canon 5D mark ii has a 21mp full frame size CMOS sensor, and it’s featured with DIGIC 4 processor. On the other hand, Canon 6D has a 20mp full frame size CMOS sensor and includes a DIGIC 5+ sensor. Both cameras provide almost the same sensor; that’s why they will offer the same level of control over the depth of field.
The lens is also an essential part of any camera. Both cameras have the same compatible EF mount. So, there are 250 native lenses available for both cameras. Sadly, there is no image stabilization feature in their body. You can buy a separate lens for the image stabilization feature.
Canon 6D and 5D mark ii both cameras have weather-sealed features in their body. They have dustproof and water resistance features. It can resist the penetration of water but not be submerged in the water.
Both camera video resolutions are Full HD 1920p x 1080p .Canon 5D mark ii has phase detection autofocus that makes the footage more clear and sharp. Unfortunately, Canon 6D does not have this feature. Canon 6D comes with 11 focus points, and 5D mark ii comes with 9 focus points. More points are useful to choose the right area on the scene.
Canon 6D provides longer battery life than the 5D mark ii. This camera can take 1090 shots, and battery power is 1800 mah, and the Canon 5D mark can take 850 photos, and battery power is 1800 mah. Both cameras come with a battery level indicator that notifies whenever the battery gets low.
Canon 6D can connect with WiFi while 5D mark ii can not connect with WiFi. Both devices have an external memory card slot, and you can add an external memory card easily. You can control a Canon 6D device with a smartphone, but canon 5d mark ii does not have this feature.
In the box:
With Canon 6D-
- Canon 6D Camera
- Eyecup Eb
- Battery Pack LP-E6
- Battery Charger LC-E6
- Stereo AV Cable AVC-DC400ST
- Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS 6DUSB
- Interface Cable IFC-200UEOS
- Digital Solution Disk & Software Instruction Manual CD
- Camera Instruction Manual
With Canon 5D Mark ii-
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLR Kit with Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF Lens.
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens.
- Front & Rear Lens Caps.
- Lens Hood.
- Lens Pouch.
- Canon LP-E6 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1800mAh)
- Canon LC-E6 Charger for LP-E6 Battery Pack.
- IFC-200U USB Cable.
Canon 6D and 5D mark ii both are excellent cameras in the market. But as you can see, the above discussion for some of the advanced features and upgraded function Canon 6D is better than 5D mark ii. Otherwise, 5D mark ii is also a good choice.
FAQ about Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
Is there an adapter for using EF lenses on this camera?
No. An EF-S lens is made specifically for the smaller APS-C sensor size. This APS-C sensor is *around* 23x15mm. The 6D has a larger full-frame sensor, which is about 36x24mm.
Are lenses for 7D compatible with 6D?
It depends on the lens. 6D is compatible only with the EF lens, according to its manual. If you have an EF-S lens, it will not work. I had a 50mm1.4 EF that I used before, and it works with 6d, but the EF-S 18-55 is not recommended.
Is this compatible with RC-1?
No, it’s not compatible with RC-1.
Does this come with a battery and charger?
Yes, you will get the charger and battery in the box.
You can also read some other comparisons-
- Sony a6300 vs a6400
- Sony a7s vs a7r
- Canon R6 vs R
- Sony A6100 vs Canon M50
- Canon M50 vs M200
- Nikon Z5 vs Sony a7iii
Debarata Roy is working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and he is dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. His greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: