Canon M5 vs M50 – Check Why Canon M50 is Best!
There are some technical differences between Canon M5 and M50 cameras. If you are confused about which one to choose then I highly recommend Canon M50 for you.
Why I Recommend Canon M50?
- Canon M50 is equipped with 143 focus points, while Canon m5 has 49 focus points. So, it is effortless for you to maintain plus track focus on moving subject.
- It provides you a 4k HD 3840 x 2160 besides the competitor gives you FHD 1920 x 1080p resolution. Hence, the camera allows you to capture crystal clear footage with its higher resolution.
- Canon M50 has 51200 ISO, and Canon M5 provides 25600 ISO. This device has 2x higher maximum sensitivity than Canon M5. Therefore, the camera can click smooth, crisp photos in a low-light environment.
- The device features the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software whereas M5 doesn’t have. However, it let you turn the camera into a quality webcam for your Windows or Mac.
As you can see, the Canon m50 can give you the best performance of the Canon m5. Therefore if you want to get better quality, this would be your best choice.
Similar Features of Canon M5 vs M50
- Canon M50 and M5 have a flip-out screen which is incredible for capturing tricky shots from any angle you need.
- These two DSLR devices are integrated with touch screen operating systems. Thus, you can control the device seamlessly to focus on the subject to everything in between.
Quick Comparison Chart: Canon M5 vs M50
|Specification||Canon M5||Canon M50|
|Editors Rating||4.6 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|Video Resolution||4k||Full HD|
|Screen Size||3.2 inches||3 inches|
|Weight||1 pound||13.1 ounces|
|Has phase detection autofocus for video||No||Yes|
|Item Dimension||2.3 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches||2.4 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches|
|It has a touch screen||Yes||Yes|
|Continuous shooting speed||9fps||10fps|
|It has a CMOS sensor||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Differences & Similarities Between Canon M5 vs M50
If you want to choose a perfect camera for you, it’s essential to notice the camera size and weight. Canon m50 weight is 13.1 ounces, and its competitor weight is 1 pound. It is more lightweight than the Canon m5. For beginners, a lightweight camera is easier to carry and use.
If you see the size of both cameras, both are the same in height and width. Both camera screens can be flip-out. They have a touch screen feature, so it’s easy to control by using your fingers. Canon m5 screen size is 2 inches bigger than Canon m50. Overall, both device designs are up to mark if you want to choose, then you can go for the Canon m50; it’s easy to carry for beginners.
They do not give you any type of weather sealing feature in their body. So, you need to have extra care for outdoor shoots. It’s a bad side on both cameras. If you need a weather sealing feature, you can choose another camera that provides you with weather sealing feature.
The number of lenses is a significant factor in choosing an ideal camera. Both cameras have the same Canon EF-M lens mount; recently, 23 lenses can be used for these cameras. Image stabilization is also an important feature. Canon m5 does not have this feature.
The larger sensors give better quality images. Both camera sensors’ size is 22.3 x 14.9 mm. They also used a CMOS sensor on their body. In this section, both are good choices.
Autofocus is also an essential feature for any kind of camera. More autofocus gives you more flexibility. This device gives you 143 autofocus points while the Canon m5 provides you 49 autofocus points. They have a phase detection autofocus system which allows the capture of more sharp images. For the higher autofocus point, I think you should go for Canon m50.
The maximum resolution makes your video quality better. Canon m50 provides you 4k video with 2160p X 24 fps; besides, its competitor gives full HD video with 1080p x 60 fps. With this device, you will get Phase detection autofocus, while Canon m5 does not provide you with this feature.
Canon m50 has a timelapse function which shows a long passage of time speed up. It can make a time-lapse video by long capture periods of video footage like the sun setting up on clouds running across the sky.
The battery is also an essential part of any camera. Longer battery life gives you more time to photograph. With Canon m50, you can take 235 shots; besides Canon m5, take 295 shots.
That means Canon m5 provides you to shoot 60 images more with a single charge. Both cameras also have battery level indicators. You can also remove the battery if the battery gets damaged.
Both devices have almost the same feature. They have a remote control feature. You can control it remotely. Your smartphone can be used as a controller.
They have an external memory slot so that you can buy a memory card separately. The device syncs your data whenever it is in range of your computer or smartphone. On the other hand, the Canon m5 does not have this feature.
In the box: With canon m5 –
- Canon EOS M5 body
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens
- Front and rear lens caps
- LP-E17 battery pack.
With Canon m50-
- Canon M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens
- Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Canon LP-E12 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
- Canon Battery Charger LC-E12 for Battery Pack LP-E12.
- Canon R-F-4 Camera Cover (Body Cap) for EOS M Mirrorless Camera
Canon m5 and m50 have almost the same feature. For the lighter weight, higher autofocus point, and higher video resolution, I strongly suggest you buy Canon m50. Otherwise, Canon M5 also provides you with good performances. So which one you want to pick is totally up to you.
Frequently Questions Asked about Canon M5 vs M50
|Is this a hot shoe or a cold shoe?
It has a hot shoe.
What’s the largest size of memory that can use on a camera?
You can use up to 128GB of memory.
How do I switch the ISO to the high ISO?
It’s in the shooting settings under ISO speed, but the max is 25600.
Is this camera good for vlogging?
Yes, it’s a perfect vlogging and travel camera.
Check more related comparisons below –