The reason for my recommendation-
- This device has 143 focus points, while Canon m5 has 49 focus points. The more focus point gives you more flexibility and gives you better quality images.
- It provides you a 4k HD 3840 x 2160 video resolution besides the competitor giving you full HD 1920 x 1080p video resolution. It’s clear Canon m50 provides better quality video footage than Canon m5.
- Canon m50 has 51200 ISO, and Canon m5 provides 25600 ISO. This device has 2x higher maximum sensitivity than Canon m5. With higher light sensitivity, you can capture the moving subjects using fast shutter speed. You can also pick an image at low light without any flash.
- It supports slow-motion video recording while its competitor does not support this feature. Slow Motion makes time seem to go slower.
- The Canon m50 weighs 13.7 ounces, and the Canon m5 weighs 1 pound. A lighter weight is better to use because it’s more comfortable to carry anywhere.
As you can see, the Canon m50 can give you the best performance of the Canon m5. Therefore if you want to get better quality, this would be your best choice.
- Both devices have a flip-out screen. That is useful for capturing tricky shots.
- They have a CMOS sensor. It makes the image more quality full.
- They have a touch screen operating system. You can control this device easily with this feature.
|Specification||Canon m5||Canon m50|
|Editors Rating||4.4 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|Video Resolution||4k||Full HD|
|Screen Size||3.2 inches||3 inches|
|Weight||1 pound||13.1 ounces|
|Has phase detection autofocus for video||No||Yes|
|Item Dimension||2.3 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches||2.4 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches|
|It has a touch screen||Yes||Yes|
|Continuous shooting speed||9fps||10fps|
|It has a CMOS sensor||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Differences and Similarities Between Canon m5 VS m50
Design: If you want to choose a perfect camera for you, it’s essential to notice camera size and weight. Canon m50 weight is 13.1 ounces, and its competitor weight is 1 pound. It is more lightweight than the Canon m5. For beginners, a lightweight camera is easier to carry and use.
If you see the size of both cameras, both are the same in height and width. Both camera screens can be flip-out. They have a touch screen feature, so it’s easy to control by using your fingers. Canon m5 screen size is 2 inches bigger than Canon m50. Overall, both device designs are up to mark if you want to choose, then you can go for Canon m50; it’s easy to carry for beginners.
Weather sealing: They do not give you any type of weather sealing feature in their body. So, you need to have extra care for outdoor shoots. It’s a bad side on both cameras. If you need a weather sealing feature, you can choose another camera that provides you with weather sealing feature.
Lenses: The number of lenses is a significant factor in choosing an ideal camera. Both cameras have the same Canon EF-M lens mount; recently, 23 lenses can be used for these cameras. Image stabilization is also an important feature. Canon m5 does not have this feature.
The larger sensors give better quality images. Both camera sensors’ size is 22.3 x 14.9 mm. They also used a CMOS sensor on their body. In this section, both are good choices.
Auto-focus: Autofocus is also an essential feature for any kind of camera. More autofocus gives you more flexibility. This device gives you 143 autofocus points while Canon m5 provides you 49 autofocus points. They have a phase detection autofocus system which allows the capture of more sharp images. For the higher autofocus point, I think you should go for Canon m50.
Video: The maximum resolution makes your video quality better. Canon m50 provides you 4k video with 2160p X 24 fps; besides, its competitor gives full HD video with 1080p x 60 fps. With this device, you will get Phase detection autofocus, while Canon m5 does not provide you this feature.
Canon m50 has a timelapse function which shows a long passage of time speed up. It can make a time-lapse video by long capture periods of video footage like the sun setting up on clouds running across the sky.
Battery: Battery is also an essential part of any camera. Longer battery life gives you more time to photograph. With Canon m50, you can take 235 shots; besides Canon m5, take 295 shots.
That means Canon m5 provides you to shoot 60 images more with a single charge. Both cameras also have battery level indicators. You can also remove the battery if the battery gets damaged.
Additional Feature: Both devices have almost the same feature. They have a remote control feature. You can control it remotely. Your smartphone can be used as a controller.
They have an external memory slot so that you can buy a memory card separately. The device syncs your data whenever it in range of your computer or smartphone. On the other hand, canon m5 does not have this feature.
In the box: With canon m5 –
- Canon EOS M5 body
- EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens
- Front and rear lens caps
- LP-E17 battery pack.
With Canon m50-
- Canon M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens
- Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Canon LP-E12 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
- Canon Battery Charger LC-E12 for Battery Pack LP-E12.
- Canon R-F-4 Camera Cover (Body Cap) for EOS M Mirrorless Camera
Conclusion: Canon m5 and m50 has almost the same feature. For the lighter weight, higher autofocus point, higher video resolution, I strongly suggest you buy Canon m50. Otherwise, Canon m5 also provides you good performances. So which one you want to pick is totally up to you.
Frequently questions asked about Canon m5 and m50.
|Is this a hot shoe or a cold shoe?|
It has a hot shoe.
What’s the largest size of memory that can use on a camera?
You can use up to 128GB of memory.
How do I switch the ISO into the high ISO?
It’s in the shooting settings under ISO speed, but the max is 25600.
Is this camera is good for vlogging?
Yes, it’s a perfect vlogging and travel camera.
Check more related comparison from below –