Canon M50 vs M50 Mark II – Which one is the best DSLR for you?
Canon m50 was released on February 2018 & M50 mark ii was released in October 2020. Both are two great cameras with lots of similarities, but if you are looking for the best one I Would recommend the Canon M50 Mark II.
Why do I recommend Canon M50 Mark II?
- Canon M50 Mark II has Eye-detecting AF that helps to keep focused on the object while they are moving. It’s very helpful while you are making vlogs or any other kind of Videos. Canon M50 Doesn’t have it.
- You will have a better run-time backup on M50 Mark II as it can shoot 350 shots with a single charge. On the other hand, Canon M50 can capture 235 shots per charge.
- It is slightly lightweight compared to the M5o model. Hence you can hold the camera conveniently. However, it weighs 12.4 ounces, whereas its sibling 13.7 ounces.
Only these are the differences between these two cameras. rest of the things are same and can provide same performance. When the price is almost same then picking the updated Canon M50 Mark II will be the right decision.
Side By Side Comparison Chart
|Specification||Canon M50 Mark II||Canon M50|
|Editor’s ratings||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Battery Life||305 shoots||235 shoots|
|eye tracking focus||yes||No|
|Weight||387 g||390 g|
|Max View Angle||84 degrees||88 degrees|
|Shooting Programs||Vlogging, Travel photography, Street photography, Portrait photography, Landscape photography, Sports and action photography||Landscape photography, Portrait photography, Street photography, Travel photography, Sports, and action photography|
|Special Effects||4K time-lapse movie, Creative Filters, Scene Modes, Picture Styles, HDR, Multiple Exposure, Star mode, Fish-eye effect||Creative Filters, Scene Modes, Picture Styles, HDR, Multiple Exposure, Time-Lapse, Star mode, Fish-eye effect|
|Price||M50 Mark II price||M50 price|
What Both Cameras Can Do?
- Both cameras consist of a 24-megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 8 Image processor that helps to give you the same resolution picture with the same details.
- The highest shutter speed in both devices is 1/4000. If you want to capture any racing car or bike you will get the same picture from both cameras without getting blurred.
- Canon M50 & M50 Mark II are capable to shoot remotely also viewing photos by using your phone.
- The ISO range of these two cameras is 25,600. Both cameras can provide the same performance in bright conditions. Suppose you are taking photos on a sunny day and don’t want your photos to be washed out or overly exposed. In this case, you have to lower your ISO sensitivity range to get a realistic image. Again, you must increase the ISO range when the light is low during the afternoon or evening.
- Both Cameras can Record full HD & HD Video at a Maximum 60 FPS, which is more than enough for Vlogging or youtube Video Making.
- If you want to do a live show or live concert you can do it with both cameras, just connect the camera to wifi and it’s ready to go.
- These two cameras have 143 focus points. So you don’t need to worry about the focus. Suppose you are in a function and want to capture a group photo where every face is perfectly focused, You can use any one of these to get a perfect picture where every face is focused.
- Both cameras have touchscreen features, that help to focus any objects by touching on the screen.
Both are perfect cameras with amazing features for photography or recording video. If you are okay with the above mentions features then you can pick any one of those you will get the same result, but if you want the best one with advanced features like Eye-detecting AF then Canon M50 Mark II is the best option.
|Image Processor||DIGIC 8||DIGIC 8|
|Lens System Mount||Canon EF-M||Canon EF-M|
|Image Sensor Size||22.3 x 14.9 mm||22.3 x 14.9 mm|
|Megapixels||24 megapixels||24 megapixels|
|Max Resolution||6000 x 4000||6000 x 4000|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||10.0fps||10.0fps|
|Dimension||116 x 88 x 59mm||116 x 88 x 59mm|
|Digital video stabilization||yes||yes|
|Video Bit rates||120mbps||120mbps|
|Light Sensitivity||25,600 ISO||25,600 ISO|
|Number of Available Lenses||29||29|
|Display Type||Fully Articulated||Fully Articulated|
|Display Resolution||1,040k dots||1,040k dots|
|Optical Viewfinder Magnification||Electronic||Electronic|
|Viewfinder Resolution||2,360k dots||2,360k dots|
|Exposure Range||±3 stops||±3 stops|
|Image recording Formate||RAW, JPG||RAW, JPG|
|Memory Card Type||SD/SDHC/SDXC||SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Digital Video Format||MPEG-4, H.264||MPEG-4, H.264|
|Max Video Resolution||3840 x 2160||3840 x 2160|
|Color Depth||24-bit color||24-bit color|
|Focus Bracketing/AE Bracketing||yes||yes|
|UHS Card Support||yes||yes|
|Self Timer Delay||2 to 10 secs||2 to 10 secs|
|Microphone Mode||Stereo, Mono||Stereo, Mono|
|Red Eye Reduction||yes||yes|
|Features||24.1 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, DIGIC 8 Image Processor, Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD, Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Eye Detection AF||24.1 MP APS-C CMOS Sensor, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, DIGIC 8 Image Processor, Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD, Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Eye Detection AF|
|Recording limit||30 minutes||30 minutes|
|Center Weighted Metering||yes||yes|
|Flash Range||5.00 m||5.00 m|
|Max Mechanical Shutter||1/4000s||1/4000s|
|Manual Exposure Mode||yes||yes|
|Custom White Balance||yes||yes|
|AF Multi Area||yes||yes|
|AF Live View||yes||yes|
|AF Face Detection||yes||yes|
|AF Contrast Detection||yes||yes|
|AF Phase Detection||yes||yes|
|Number of Focus Points||143||143|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year|
|Price||M50 Mark II price||M50 price|
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon M50 vs M50 Mark II
Does it have a headphone jack?
No, this camera has a 3.5 mm microphone jack but no headphone jack.
Do I need an adapter lens for 14-15mm, including the kit?
No, use the old EF systems lenses.
Does this camera come with a warranty card, and where can I find information on the warranty card?
The camera will come with a one-year warranty and the warranty card provided by the authorized canon dealer. In the warranty period, if you feel any problem, then you can contract with the company site. You can also find all information about the warranty on the canon website.