Canon R5 vs R6 – Which one is Best & Why
The Canon R5 and R6 are high-performance cameras offering a wide range of features and capabilities for professional photographers and videographers. Depending on your specific needs and preferences, one camera may better fit you than the other.
However, after using these cameras and comparing their main features, I think Canon R5 would be the right choice for you. Do you want to know the upgraded features of R5? Well, check the below section:
Why would Canon R5 be the right choice for you?
- The Canon EOS R5 camera has 45 megapixels, which means you will get improved low-light performance, increased dynamic range, better noise performance, and more flexibility in cropping or adjusting the composition in post-production without losing the image quality. But you won’t get this facility with the Canon EOS R6 camera it has 20.1 megapixels.
- Both mirrorless cameras can produce 4K ( Ultra High Definition) videos, but the 8K ( Full Ultra High Definition) quality of Canon R5 places it one step ahead of R6. Generally, 8K resolution ensures more detail, sharper, and more immersive experience than 4K.
- This mirrorless camera’s electronic viewfinder has 5760K dots, and its opponent, Canon EOS R6’s viewfinder, has only 369K dots. So, Canon R5’s 56% higher EVF will help you to focus and compose sharper and more detailed images than R6.
- The LCD screen of R5 is 3.2 inches whereas R6 has 3.0 inches. So, R5 has a bigger LCD than R6 and with R5, you will have a better live view, accurate focus, and easier composition.
- R5’s dynamic range is 14.6 whereas its competitor R6’s dynamic range is 14.3. With a higher dynamic range, R5 is capable of taking a greater range of brightness levels in an image, which means it will produce more accurate color representation in the image and you will get more realistic and lifelike images.
- 1.6 times cropping mode of R5 enlarges the main target without reducing its resolution quality, which is not provided in R6.
- R6 gets overheated while creating 4K videos. In contrast, it’s not going to happen to Canon R5. You can make 4K and 8K videos smoothly and seamlessly for a long time.
- R5 has a custom video mode that allows you to shoot videos at 25, 50, and 100 fps with the correct shutter speed, which is not given in R6.
- You will get USB 3.1 ( gen 2) in Canon EOS R5 and USB 3.1 ( gen 1) in EOS R6. Basically, USB 3.1 ( gen 2) is capable of transferring files at a maximum speed of 10 Gbps whereas USB 3.1 ( gen 1) can transfer files at 5 Gbps speed. Therefore, using Canon EOS R5’s interface, you can transfer files faster than R6 and it allows high-power charging.
So, you can see that the R5 boasts a 45-megapixel full-frame sensor and 8K video recording, making it an excellent choice for those who prioritize image quality and high-resolution capabilities. The R6, on the other hand, offers a 20-megapixel sensor and 4K video recording, making it a more lightweight and compact option that is ideal for those who value portability. Now it’s time to make the final call.
|Camera features||Canon EOS R5||Canon EOS R6|
|Editor’s ratings||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Image Sensor||45 megapixels||20.1 megapixels|
|LCD Screen Size||3.2 Inches||3.0 Inches|
|Viewfinder Resolution||5760k dot||3690k dot|
|Maximum Video Resolution||8K ( Full Ultra High Definition)||4K ( Ultra High Definition)|
|Interface||USB 3.1 ( Gen 2)||USB 3.1 ( Gen 1)|
|Expandable ISO range||50-102400||50-204800|
|Battery Life||320 shots||360 shots|
|Autofocus at f/8 aperture||5940 points||6072 points|
|Weight||738 grams||680 grams|
|Release Date||July 9, 2020||July 9, 2020|
|Price||Check R5 price||Check R6 price|
The Downsides of Canon R5 & R6
|Canon EOS R5||Canon EOS R6|
|Check R5 Best Price||Check R6 Best Price|
Things you should know about Canon EOS R5 and R6
- These cameras don’t have a built-in flash. Therefore, you have to purchase an external flash.
- They have a vlogger-friendly LCD, which means you can rotate these cameras’ LCD at different angles and shoot amazing photos and video vlogs.
- You can remotely control your camera by using your smartphone.
- You can transfer files to computers or other devices from R5 at the fastest speed with 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi or a 5.00 Bluetooth version. In contrast, R6 allows using 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and 4.2 Bluetooth connectivity.
- Two Sd card slots are given in R5 and R6. So you can use one CF express that can read and write at the rate of 1700 and 1400 MB/s and one UHS-II that is read and write 312 MB/sin R5, whereas two slots support UHS-II sd cards in R6.
- R5 offers you to shoot 180 RAW photos with a single CF Express card, which decreases to 87 when the gear is provided with one CF express and one UHS-II card. At the same time, shooting RAW is not downgraded in R6 and provides you to capture 240 snaps when two UHS-II sd cards are inserted into it.
Similar features in Canon R5 & R6
|Camera features||Canon R5||Canon R6|
|Image Processor||DIGIC X||DIGIC X|
|Anti-dust Shutter Mechanism||Yes||Yes|
|Mechanical Shutter||Continuous Shooting up to 12fps||Continuous Shooting up to 12fps|
|Electronic (Silent) Shutter||Continuous Shooting up to 20fps||Continuous Shooting up to 20fps|
|Adjustable LCD Screen||Fully Articulated||Fully Articulated|
|Interface||USB 3.1 Gen 2||USB 3.1 Gen 1|
|Face Detection Focus||Yes||Yes|
|Price||Check R5 price||Check R6 price|
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon R5 vs R6
|Is the Canon R5 worth the extra money?
Yes, the R5 is formed with 45-megapixel Full-frame sensor, 8K video recording capacity, super continuous shooting speed, timelapse recording, and a bigger LCD. so, Canon R5 is worth the extra money.
Is the R5 good for night photography?
Undoubtedly yes, Canon EOS R5 is great for night photography. The ISO range of this camera is 100-51200 and if needed you can increase this range to 50-102400.
Does Canon R5 shoot 4K 120fps?
Yes, it can record 4k resolution videos at 120fps. In addition, it has the capability to record 8K resolution videos.
Can I record 8K resolution videos with Canon R6?
No, you can’t use 8K resolution videos with Canon EOS R6. The maximum video recording capability of R6 is 4K resolution at 120p.
Is Canon R6 professional?
No, Canon EOS R6 isn’t a professional camera as it’s image sensor is only 20 Megapixels, and it is unable to produce 8K resolution videos. In contrast, Canon EOS R5 is a professional device as it has 45 Megapixels and you can record 8K resolution videos with it.