Canon R5 and R6 both have some common features. But I would recommend you choose the Canon R5.
Why I Recommend Canon R5?
- Canon R5 provides 45 effective megapixels while Canon R6 gives you 20 megapixels. With its full-frame 45 MP CMOS sensor, you will get phenomenal image quality.
- It delivers 8k video resolution while its competitor provides 4k. Hence, you can capture a cinematic 8K video on this camera that is not convenient for its competitor.
- The R5 camera has a higher electronic viewfinder with a higher resolution. At the same time, Canon R6 has a lower electronic viewfinder. Thus, a higher electronic viewfinder reduces noises and ensures the best quality pictures.
- Canon R5’s screen size is 3.2 inches, while the Canon R6 screen size is 3 inches. Even though the difference is a little yet this camera ensure the accuracy of any photos with details.
All of these features keep Canon R5 ahead of the other device. If you want to get a perfect shot, then R5 should be your choice.
- Both devices’ continuous shooting speed is 12 fps that allow you to capture any fast object effortlessly.
- They have a weather-sealed feature. As a result, both cameras can take splashes of water.
- These cameras’ built-in optical image stabilization offers you shake corrections for smooth and steady imagery.
- They come with a subject tracking feature that detects the head, eye, and face for people, and body, face, and eye for animals.
- Both have a battery level indicator feature that will warn you when the camera is about to shut off.
If you think these similar features are enough for your then you can choose Canon R6 or R5. But if you want the best performance with improved functions then you should pick Canon R5.
Quick Comparison: Canon R5 vs R6
|Specification||Canon R5||Canon R6|
|Editors Rating||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Weight||3.4 pounds||3.13 pounds|
|Product Dimension||9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches||3.48 x 5.45 x 3.84 inches|
|Video record||8k,4k, Full HD||4k, full HD|
|Image processor||DIGIC X||DIGIC X|
|Continuous shooting speed||12fps||12 fps|
|Has face detection autofocus||Yes||Yes|
|Has a built-in image stabilization||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Differences and Similarities: R5 vs R6 Canon
Canon R6 has a 20 mp full frame size cosmos sensor and is featured with Digic X processors. Besides, Canon R5 has a 45 mp full frame cosmos sensor and Feature Digic X processors. With the help of a sensor, you can print your images larger and crop more freely.
Another difference between this camera is that Canon R6 sensors lack an anti-alias filter. By decreasing the anti-alias filter, you can increase the power of sharpness and the level of details. Canon R5 and R6 both have outstanding features. But for the higher megapixel, Canon R5 is best.
The number of lenses is more important for any camera. Canon R5 and R6 both have the same Canon RF lens mount. Only 22 native lenses can cover the full-frame sensors of these cameras. Image stabilization is also an important factor for any camera. Both cameras have sensor-based image stabilization. That means all of the lenses are stabilized in these bodies.
A higher resolution is available for video footage with the main camera. Canon R5 has a maximum resolution of 4320 x 40 fps, and Canon R6 has 2160 x 60 fps. Both devices have a Phase detection autofocus feature for videos.
With these features, you can record any fast-moving object. This camera supports slow-motion video recording. It also supports the timelapse function. A timelapse can capture a long passage of time sped up. It’s a great technique to capture the sun, clouds moving across the sky.
In this section, body size and weight is an important part. Canon R5’s weight is 3.4 pounds, and the external dimensions are 9.1 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches. Besides, the Canon R6 weight is 3.13 pounds, and dimensions are 3.48 x 5.45 x 3.84 inches.
If you want to do the outdoor shooting, then the weight is a matter for you. Because lighter-weight devices can be carried anywhere you want. Both cameras have Canon RF lens mount and full frame size sensors. If I judge considering a design section, I must say that Canon R5 is best.
There are some differences in battery life. With Canon R5, you can capture 320 shoots with one charge. In contrast, Canon R6 captures 360 shots before the battery dies. Both device batteries can be removable.
If your battery gets damaged, then you can replace it easily. This battery is also rechargeable. These devices also have a battery level indicator whenever the battery gets low, and you will get notified.
There is some additional feature that makes your DSLR more upgraded. Both devices support WiFi, so you can use these cameras wirelessly. Both devices have remote control features. You can use your smartphone as a remote to control the device.
There is an external memory slot option, and you can add extra memory to your devices. There are two memory slots. USB-type C port has in both cameras. If we compare features, then both have almost the same feature. Still, some little differences make anon R5.
Durability and Warranty:
The camera body and cover made of polycarbonate compound, contain 10-20% glass fiber. These materials make your device more long-lasting. However, you will get a 1-year warranty on both cameras. You can use the warranty period after the date of product purchasing.
You can see that both are amazing cameras. After discussing all of the features, I suggest you buy a Canon R5 because it has a higher megapixel, a big screen, and a higher screen resolution. Otherwise, Canon R6 is also a good choice.
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon r6 vs canon r5
|Does this come with a lens hood?|
The Canon R6 does not come with a lens hood. The high-end RF lens comes with.
Does this camera come with a memory card?
No, it does not come with a memory card. You have to buy external memory.
Does it work with EF lenses?
With Canon R6 EF-EOS R lens adapter ring is required to use EF lenses.
Is this made in Japan?
Yes, this product is made in Japan and manufactured in the USA.
Read related articles here.