Duo-Sonic and Mustang are two impressive electric guitars from Fender, but we highly suggest Mustang because of its outstanding features for creating an authentic tone.
Why We Recommend Mustang?
- The floating bridge with a dynamic vibrato tailpiece of Mustang provides great sounds because you can move the bridge to some degree, plus it will keep the tune of the guitar very well. Besides, Duo-Sonic has a hardtail bridge that cannot move.
- Mustang body is made with Poplar material that ensures long durability. On the flip side, the Duo-Sonic body is built with Alder, so it may not last long like this one.
- It has a Laurel fretboard, while its competitor uses Maple material. Compared to Maple, Laurel craftsmanship is better, plus it makes it an impressive guitar.
- Mustang comes in a beautiful glossy finish on the neck, also has block inlays including in the first fret. You will have a real vintage feel from this guitar, also it is very comfortable. At the same time, the other one doesn’t have a glossy finish like the Mustang.
- You won’t regret its various controlling switches plus tuning knobs as they will work as your expectation. Unfortunately, the Duo-Sonic tuning knobs are not good as this one.
You will get these benefits from the Fender Mustang that are missing on the Duo-Sonic. So, we strongly recommend this one for you.
- Duo-Sonic and Mustang have a “C” shape neck profile which will make you feel comfortable and joy while playing.
- Both guitars’ scale length is 24-inches that makes these guitars very simple to play or operate
- The Pickups use a single coil that electromagnetically transforms the vibration of the strings to an electric signal for crisper sound.
Comparison Chart: Duo-Sonic vs Mustang
|Editor’s Rating||4.5 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Dimension||41.75 x 15.2 x 4.3 inches||44.5 x 15 x 4 inches|
|Weight||2.2 pounds||11 pounds|
|Neck Shape||“C” Shape||“C” Shape|
|Neck Finish||Gloss Polyester||Vintage Tinted Gloss|
|Pickguard||3-Ply Tortoiseshell||4-Ply Tortoiseshell|
|Pickup Configuration Options||HS||SS|
|Bridge||Hardtail Bridge||Floating Bridge with Dynamic Vibrato Tailpiece|
|Scale Length||24 Inches||24 Inches|
|Warranty||Two Years||Two Years|
Differences & Similarities: Fender Duo-Sonic and Mustang
Both of them use solid material, yet there are differences. The Duo-Sonic body material is Alder, while Mustang has Poplar material on its body and back as well. Poplar material is solid than Alder, hence the Mustang could last longer.
The two of them have nickel steel-string material and have 6 strings. Anyhow, the bridge system of the Duo-Sonic is Hardtail, whereas the Mustang bridge is Tremolo.
Size & Shape
When it comes to the size & shape of these two guitars, both are perfect for large hands as well as for small individuals. The smooth finish makes them comfortable to use. However, the size of the Duo-Sonic is 41.75 x 15.2 x 4.3 inches, and the Mustang has 44.5 x 15 x 4 inches. These two guitars are easy to maintain for their size.
These two instruments provide a slim “C” shape neck profile. It gives comfortable playability to its users, whether you are a noob or an expert. But there’s a slight difference in the neck profile. The Duo-Sonic has a gloss polyester finish, besides, Mustang has a vintage tinted gloss finish. Compared to the Duo-Sonic, it gives a highly desirable look.
You can choose the Mustang for solid string stability since it features a vintage-style floating bridge with a dynamic vibrato tailpiece. It allows you to move the bridge to some degree which affects the sound & tuning.
In contrast, the Duo-Sonic has a hardtail bridge which is known as a fixed bridge as well. It ensures the bridge is secured to the guitar’s body, and you cannot move it, which is a downside of Duo-Sonic.
Tuning & Sound
Fender Duo-Sonic and Mustang have single-coil pickups. The pickup gives the user to create versatile sounds like metal, rock, jazz, whatever you want. They will deliver awesome tones that are almost like Stratocaster.
But in terms of the switch knobs, the Mustang is better than Duo-Sonic. It has a three-way toggle switch that offers you the authentic Fender tone. The Mustang can make a brighter sound than the other one, so this could be your consideration.
Generally, Fender offers a two years warranty from the date you bought it like other Fender guitars. So do they two have the same. These two are built with quality materials, yet if there are any manufacturer issues with the instruments, they will be repaired within this period. But if you broke any string of your guitar or any scratches, then the warranty will not repair the product.
When it comes down to choosing the best one between these two great guitars, it’s totally up to your personal preference. Fender Duo-Sonic and Mustang share many similarities, but a few updated features make the Mustang our best pick. Its tune and sound quality is more impressive than Duo-Sonic, also, it is very comfortable. However, in the end, it’s your choice, so you should consider all these features once again to try out the best one.
Frequently Asked Questions about Mustang & Duo-Sonic
|What is the dimension of the Duo-Sonic?
The actual dimension of the Fender Duo-Sonic is 41.75 inches by 15 inches by 4.5 inches.
Do they come with a gig bag?
Unfortunately, none of these guitars provides a gig bag.
Are they comfortable for beginners?
Yes, the Duo-Sonic and Mustang devices are comfortable for the newbies. Hence, both guitars will be suitable for beginners.
What is the scale length of them?
Fender Mustang and Duo-Sonic share the same 24 inches scale.
What are the pickup configuration options for these two guitars?
The Duo-Sonic configuration is HS, on the other hand, the Mustang configuration is SS.
Check out our another article from the below link –