Why Ecobee 5 is a Better Thermostat?
- The built-in Amazon Alexa feature is advanced in Ecobee 5. You’ll get the calling, announcement feature, and messaging option with its Alexa. But, Ecobee 4’s Alexa does just basic stuff for you.
- Ecobee 5 comes with a Bluetooth feature. So, you can stream music from the online platform with your thermostat. It is a new and fantastic experience to listen to songs on your thermostat. Contrary, Ecobee 4 does not have any Bluetooth feature.
- This thermostat has an Eco+ software upgrade that makes this thermostat energy efficient. Therefore, it saves power costs and gives you 23% off your bill. In contrast, Ecobee 4 does not have this software either.
- It has an advanced microphone attached to it. Also, it can detect wake words, echo-spatial, and respond to your command a lot quicker. On this matter, Ecobee 4 has an analog microphone.
- Ecobee 4 thermostat only supports a 2.4GHz network in a WiFi connection. In contrast, Ecobee 5 supports both the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network. If your home has many smart electronics. Then Ecobe 5 would support you through its 5 GHz network support quality.
As you can see, there are so many features that make Ecobee 5 a better thermostat than Ecobee 4. If you want to check the prices of these products, then press the buttons below.
Similar Features In Ecobee 4 and 5
- They have built-in Alexa.
- These two work with a motion sensor.
- They both have a room sensor.
- These two support humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and ventilators.
- Ecobee 4 and Ecobee 5 have 3.5” LCD touch screens.
- They are compatible with the mobile app.
- Ecobee 4 and 5 support smart devices.
- You have web access for both Ecobee 4 and 5.
- Both support a 2.4GHz WiFi network.
- The Ecobee company offers three years limited warranty for both Ecobee 4 and 5.
|Specification||Ecobee 5||Ecobee 4|
|Editor’s Rating||4.9 Out of 5||4.7 Out of 5|
|Dimension||4.29 x 4.29 x 1||4 x 4x 1|
|Built-in Amazon Alexa||Advanced||Yes|
|LCD Touch Screen||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile App Control||Yes||Yes|
|Smart Device Support||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||3 Years||3 Years|
Difference and Similarity Between Ecobee 4 and 5
These two Ecobee’s thermostats have an identical elegant design. They come in a ‘squircle’ shape. Their weight and dimension are quite similar. Ecobee 4 and 5’s weight is 1.8 pounds, and the dimension is about 4 x 4 x 1 inch. They are capable of looking great in your home and give a beautiful touch.
Room Sensor and Motion Sensor
The coolest feature in Ecobee 4 and Ecobee 5 is its sensor features. They come with two types of sensors: room sensors and motion sensors. Room sensors work is to work in a room to collect the room’s different temperature data and set the most appropriate one for the room.
The motion sensor detects your motions and sets a mood according to them. If it detects motion, it has Home Mood for this. If it does not detect any motion in the house, it sets the Away Mood. When you are moving into the house, it follows you and sets the temperature that suits you wherever you are in the house. This feature makes these two more preferable and smarter than many other thermostats.
Ecobee 5 has this extra feature in it. The Bluetooth feature. With this feature, you can tune in to your favorite music by online streaming. Ecobee 5 supports many online platforms, including Spotify and Pandora. What could be more amazing than this, listening to your favorite music on your thermostat?
Both Ecobee 4 and 5 have Amazon Alexa built-in on them. They do regular tasks such as listening to your instruction and work according to it, which they listen through their microphone. Still, Ecobee 5’s Alexa is the advanced one. You can manage messaging, calling, and announcements with it. These skills come in really handy in a thermostat when you have them.
Another cool feature you get with Ecobee 5 is an upgraded Eco+ software. This feature is very efficient if you are thinking about minimizing the electricity bill. This software increases the efficiency of energy that saves your electricity bills up to 23%. This is also an environment-friendly feature.
WiFi and Mobile Compatibility
These two have WiFi compatibility for the 2.4GHz network. Besides, Ecobee 5 allows working in a 5GHz network too. So, when there are many smart electronics at your home, there would be no problem with the WiFi connectivity. If you have plenty of them, you can consider the Ecobee 5 for you, but if you do not have a lot, 2.4GHz is also a good network coverage. They both are compatible with the mobile app as well. There is also web access for these two thermostats.
They both have a built-in microphone in them. The Ecobee 4 has an analog one. Ecobee 5 smart thermostat’s microphone is a digital one. It is better in word detection; echo-spatial detection also works way quicker than the analog microphone. Therefore while there are noises in the background, it still detects your instruction and gives you a faster result.
Ecobee smart thermostats manufacturers provide three years limited warranty on their thermostats. Ecobee 4 and five both have three years limited warranty as well. There is no doubt that these thermostats are capable of giving you service for years. Still, if you need technical help during these warranty years, Ecobee will provide you this.
It is visible at the end how Ecobee 5 makes it a better thermostat of itself. Its upgraded features are genuinely next level. The price range is not a lot different from Ecobee 4 too. Better WiFi connectivity, finer Alexa support, digital microphone, additional Bluetooth feature, and environment-friendly money-saver software make it an ultimate gem. If you look clearly at Ecobee 4, you can see that the thermostat is not bad at all either. It has nearly all of the features built in it. It just does not provide you the lavish service that Ecobee 5 can give you. So, be smart at choosing for you, which suits you the best between Ecobee 4 and 5.
Frequently Asked Question About Ecobee 4 and 5
|Can I turn off the Alexa in Ecobee 5?|
Yes, you can turn off the Alexa on Ecobee 5 via the LCD touch screen.
Does Ecobee 4 have a backup battery with it?
No, Ecobee 4 does not have any backup battery with it.
Can the temperature be locked on the Ecobee 5 thermostat?
Yes, You can set a passcode for your thermostat and lock the temperature after setting it.
What is the weight of Ecobee 4?
The weight of the Ecobee 4 thermostat is 1.83 pounds.
Does Ecobee 5 have fan-only settings?
Yes, Ecobee 5 has a Fan-only setting.
Read another thermostat comparison here.
- Honeywell T5 vs T6
- Ecobee3 Lite vs Ecobee4
- Honeywell T5+ vs T6
- Ecobee3 vs Ecobee3 Lite
- Honeywell T9 vs Nest
- Ecobee3 vs Ecobee4