Are you confused about picking the best one between Panasonic GH4 and GH5? Well, here Panasonic GH5 has got some advanced features that made it the best camera.
What Features Made Panasonic GH5 Best?
- Panasonic GH5 has a 20.3-megapixel camera, while the previous version was built with a 16 mp camera only. However, with the high-performance 20.3mp sensor, you can capture stunning photos that are artifact-free.
- It features the 6K photo mode so that you can capture the moment at an incredible 18-megapixel even at faster motion which is next to impossible in traditional DSLRs. And the 6k mode is not available on Panasonic GH4.
- Panasonic GH5 is built with a 5-Axis Dual I.S. 2 function that eliminates the blur in photos because the 5-Axis image stabilization works to reduce the shake in hands plus lens while taking photos or recording video. Unfortunately, image stabilization isn’t included in the GH4.
- The device has a dual S.D. card slot while the other one doesn’t. It increases the capacity of your device so that you can click efficiently by swapping a full card with an empty one.
Hopefully, now you understand why we recommend the GH5. It is the upgraded version of the GH4, so obviously, you will get the best features from this device.
Similar Features of Panasonic GH4 vs GH5
- The GH4 and GH5 include a 4k photo feature that lets you extract images from the video recording.
- They have a touch screen, and it lets you focus on the right object for the desired shots, and also controls the device easily and effectively.
- Panasonic GH4 and GH4 are built with a rugged body that is splash-proof and dustproof to ensure you don’t need to stop exploring.
- Both of them include Bluetooth version 4.2 and wifi 5GHz, which allows faster data transfer to your smartphone or tablet.
- They cover a one-year limited warranty for the USA and Puerto Rico.
Since both devices come from the Panasonic Lumix family, they’d include some similar features. So do the GH4 and GH5, but you should choose the GH5 because it has improved functionalities.
Quick Comparison: Panasonic GH4 vs GH5
|Specifications||Panasonic GH4||Panasonic GH5|
|Editor’s Rating||4,6 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|Size||5.24 x 3.31 x 3.66 inches||5.83 x 7.56 x 6.14 inches|
|Weight||1.23 lbs||1.00 lbs|
|Image Sensor||16.00 Megapixels||20.3MP|
|Dual SD Card Slot||No||Yes|
|Battery life||500-530 shots||410 shots|
|Bluetooth and Wi-Fi||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Similarities & Disimilarities: Panasonic GH4 vs GH5
Panasonic GH4 and GH5 have almost the same size, but there is a slight difference in weight. The GH4 measurement is 5.24 x 3.31 x 3.66 inches, in contrast the GH5 size is 5.83 x 7.56 x 6.14 inches. And their weight is 1.23 lbs and 1.00 lbs, respectively.
Both devices are built with a rugged body design that ensures they withstand any environment. They combine with the touch screen LCD, high-speed wifi & Bluetooth, 4K photo plus other convenient properties.
You will get better picture quality on Panasonic GH5 because it has a 20.3Mp resolution, whereas the GH4 comes with a 16Mp resolution. So, with the 20.3mp Digital Live Mos sensor of the GH5, you can achieve incredible photos.
Both cameras include a low-pass filter so that you confidently capture sharp detail images which are artifact-free.
Splashproof & Dustproof
The built durable magnesium alloy die-cast frame protects the device’s button, dial to every seam. The body material ensures longevity compared to any traditional cameras.
That’s because both of them are splash and dust resistant. In addition, the cameras are designed to use any freezy temperature. Panasonic’s rugged body and compact size allow you to take those cameras everywhere you want.
Lumix GH4 and GH5 can record silk smooth 4k video at 3840 x 2160 resolution. You can slow down or faster excellent motion inside the footage while editing the video. This won’t lose any video detail, anyhow, with the 4k video, you can achieve no sensor cropping and pixel to pixel recording.
6K Photo Mode
Panasonic GH5 has a 6k photo burst so that you exactly get the frame you want to keep. The 6k mode lets you capture the perfect moment at 18-megapixel resolution. It is very helpful during shooting at faster motion which is usually not possible on other conventional DSLR cameras.
The post focus mode of the Panasonic GH5 lets you enjoy your photography seamlessly. Once you are done with your work, you can add the focus points to the image. Simply touch on the area to make it a focal point, or you can sharpen the image.
In contrast, the GH4 doesn’t include post focus mode, so you have to add focus points while you take the image if you have this device.
DFD Ultra Fast Motion Detection
These two impressive cameras feature the innovative Depth from defocus technology. It allows the GH4 and GH5 to calculate the lens movement while comparing the field values of two images at the same time.
DFD can achieve ultra-high-speed within 0,5 seconds, plus with the AFS, they can capture at 9fps.
5-Axis Dual I.S.
5-Axis Dual I.S.2 enables you up to 5-stops of slower shutter speeds through the telephoto lenses. The GH5 combines with this function that reduces shake in your lens or hand from wide-angle to tele-end.
However, image stabilization works for video recording, as well as for photos. Panasonic GH4, by contrast, doesn’t include 5-Axis stabilization.
Both feature a 3,680k-dot high-resolution OLED LVF. You can see the detail clearly even under direct sunlight. You can also see the image detail on the screen, settings, and icons of the camera.
Both also have a touch LCD which makes operating the devices very straightforward.
Durability & Warranty
You can use these Panasonic devices for years because they are constructed with high-end materials. The GH4 and GH5 cover a one-year limited warranty only if the devices have any manufacturer defects.
But if the device is damaged due to overuse or if there is a scratch, you can’t claim for free repair or replacement.
Panasonic GH4 and GH5 have compact designs, plus they both are good enough for photography or videography purposes.
Compared to the GH4, the GH5 is better because it includes updated properties than the previous one. So, the device includes a few advanced features so that you can enjoy spending time with the camera.
You will get Image Stabilization, 6K photo, post focus mode, plus other functions in GH5. And we strongly recommend you choose the GH5 rather than GH4.
Frequently Asked Questions of Panasonic GH4 vs GH5
|Can I make a YouTube video with the GH4?
Yes, Panasonic GH4 is a great camera, including a stunning 16mp camera resolution, so you can use it for making YOUTUBE videos.
Can I shoot the RAW video in the GH5?
No, the device cannot record RAW video, but you can get a similar dynamic range by using its built-in V-LogL.
How long does the device allow you to take continuous video?
The devices don’t include any fixed time limit, and you are only limited to your S.D. card since these are not typical DSLR cameras.
Will the GH5 record video at 24fps?
Yes, the camera will record video at 24fps, but you may need to change the frequency from the menu so that it records at 24 fps.
Will GH5 record sound while shooting at 120fps?
No, this won’t record sound while shooting at 120fps.
Read more comparisons here –
- Panasonic GX85 vs G7
- Panasonic GH4 vs G85
- Panasonic GH5 vs G9
- Panasonic G85 vs GX85
- Fujifilm X100v vs Sony RX100 vii
- Nikon z7 vs Sony a7r iii
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget. In 2014, I bought my first DSLR camera, and I have worked for different agencies and travel companies. Therefore, I have to use various cameras and lenses. Nowadays, there are many kinds of cameras available in the market, so, before buying, a person has to focus on the following questions:
Here are some questions for you that will help you to buy a camera
- Ask yourself why you are buying a camera? Because Different cameras are built for different purposes. Do you want something only for better photos than your phone, or do you want to get into the photography business or just a hobby?
- What is the budget? You may not need a professional-grade DSLR camera if it is just for a hobby. You can get something that will allow you to grow into a DSLR.
- Did you compare your desired model with another popular model in the market?
If you are looking for a camera for your business or professional photography, then check the below things before making the final call:
- Types of Cameras
- DSLR vs Mirrorless
- Speed and Performance
- The MegaPixel Myth and Reality
- Interchangeable Lenses
- Image Stabilization
Check one of my articles where I describe everything in detail about how to choose a DSLR camera
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media:
- Camera2022.06.25GoPro Hero 8 Vs 9 – Why do Buywithme.org suggest the GoPro 9?
- Fujifilm2022.06.25Fujifilm X100v vs Sony RX100 vii – What’s the main differences?
- Sony2022.06.20Sony a7rii vs a7iii – Why do we suggest the a7iii than a7rii?
- Security camera2022.06.20Arlo Pro 2 vs Arlo Ultra – Check the difference & get the best