Why we suggest the Panasonic GH5?
- It has a 20.3 mp image sensor which is the highest resolution on Micro Four Third cameras. In comparison, the GH5s were built with a 10.28 mp image sensor. The sensor is designed to enhance the photo quality. You can capture an incredible level of detail from edge to edge of the photo, plus every image will possess vivid colors.
- This camera device has in-body 5-Axis stabilization, which is the latest technology that supports classic non-O.I.S lenses. It’s very handy because it reduces the shaking of the camera and lenses as well. But this function is not available on the GH5s.
- The GH5 has a Post Focus function, and it lets you focus after you take the shot. This is a brilliant feature while shooting fast apertures or macro or close-ups photography. Besides, the GH5s doesn’t include post focus properties.
- Panasonic GH5 combines with the new 6k photo mode at 30fps, but the Panasonic GH5s do not. However, the 6k photo lets you click the perfect moment at 18 megapixels high-resolution.
- It is a budget-friendly camera than GH5s. If you have a tight budget, this would be the best bet because it is less pricey plus includes better image quality than GH5s.
Panasonic GH5 is built with impressive features that will take your photography or videography to the next level. And we strongly recommend you choose this one.
Similar Features Between the Panasonic GH5 and GH5s
- The GH5 and GH5s cameras have a rugged design plus built to withstand any weather. Both are dust/freeze/splashproof devices.
- These devices include Bluetooth 4.2 and wifi 5GHz, which let you transfer data faster to your smartphone.
- They have ultrahigh-speed 4K photo mode, also, both can capture photos in faster motion which is not possible in conventional cameras.
- The GH5 and GH5s include dual SD card slots, which increases recording capacity plus file arrangement efficiency. Moreover, it allows the user to record in simultaneous, relay, and backup mode.
- Both come with high-resolution 3,680k-dot OLED LVF. It gives the user improved visibility under direct sunlight as well.
These are significant similarities between these two cameras. As we mentioned, the GH5 would be an excellent option, but now if you think the GH5s is better, then go with this.
Panasonic GH5 vs GH5s – Quick Comparison Chart
|Specification||Panasonic GH5||Panasonic GH5s|
|Editor’s Rating||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Battery life||410 shots||440 shots|
|Anamorphic Video Mode||Yes||Yes|
|SD Card Slot||Dual||Dual|
|Bluetooth and Wi-Fi||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Differences and Similarities in Features of the Panasonic GH5 vs GH5s
Panasonic Lumix GH5 has a high-performance 20.3 MP Digital Live MOS sensor, while the Lumix GH5s include a 10.2 MP resolution.
The Lumix GH5 combines with the low-pass filter from the sensor so that you can capture sharp images with high artifact-free and high dynamic range.
Compared to the GH5s, the GH5 can provide you an incredible level of detail from edge to edge.
If you want to capture the best quality picture, the GH5 would be your best bet.
In terms of the battery life, the Panasonic GH5s is slightly better because it has up to 440 shots while the GH5 battery life is up to 410 shots approximately.
Though the GH5s let you capture more photos, we recommend the GH5 because it can deliver better image quality.
These mirrorless cameras are built with a rugged design body that withstands heavy use.
Both ate freezeproof up to -10 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, both are splash, as well as dustproof construction. Every corner of these cameras is weather sealing.
But the magnesium alloy full-die-cast Armor frame makes these cameras very durable and lightweight.
6K 30fps / 4K 60 fps PHOTO Burst
Panasonic GH5 has a new 6K photo mode that captures images at 30fps. The 6K mode lets you click perfect moments at an incredible 18-megapixel resolution.
Both combine with 4K photo mode at 60fps, even at faster motion than other traditional DSLR cameras.
Both of them can record silky smooth videos at 4K 60p/50p. You can faster or slow down the footage inside your video editing, but this won’t lose the detail.
Moreover, you can achieve suppression of the rolling shutter effect with the perfect panning control.
Both cameras feature pixel to pixel so that you can achieve high-resolution images in perfect focal length. The best thing is, there is no recording duration limit.
In all recording settings, you can go beyond 30 minutes.
The fantastic post focus mode is available on the Lumix GH5 but not on the GH5s. However, you can add the focus points on your device after you’ve finished taking photos.
Just capture the scene, then review it and touch on the part you want to make sharp. It’s straightforward, and this stunning advanced processing can be done inside your camera.
DFD Ultra Fast Motion Detection & Focus
The innovative DFD technology is available on the GH5. It helps the GH5 calculate focal lens movement compared to the depth of the field values of the two images, which is an incredibly high speed.
This device can achieve the Ultra-high-speed Auto Focus within 0.05 seconds. At the same time, the Lumix GH5s speed is 0.07 seconds.
5-Axis Dual I.S. Eliminates Blur
The 5-Axis Dual I.S. includes the Lumix GH5, which intelligently enables the compensation of up to 5-stops of slower shutter speeds. This device eliminated the shake in the camera body and lens from a wide-angle.
Furthermore, in both photo and video recording, it works perfectly, plus in 4K videos as well.
Unfortunately, the 5-Axis is not available on the GH5s.
Dual SD Card Slots
Both cameras have dual SD card slots that increase the recording capacity. Also, it efficiently improves the file arrangement capacity.
You can record simultaneously, relay with the help of a dual SD card.
Large OLED LVF
Panasonic GH5 and GH5s include a high-resolution 3,680k-dot OLED that machines up exactly how you want to see the images. The display will show you a high-quality view even under direct sunlight.
And the 0.76x magnification makes it effortless so that you can see the image with detail, plus the settings to everything in between you need.
Bluetooth and wifi
Lumix GH5 and GH5s include a 4.2 Bluetooth that enables you a full-time connection with low energy consumption between the smartphone and camera.
In addition, the devices will automatically connect to the wifi so that you can transfer data to your phone easily. Both have 5GHz wifi which is incredibly faster.
Apart from these features, both camera devices also include 709 like gamma that is helpful for broadcast flexibility in post-production. They have Time Code which is used for editing photos, plus a sync camera. Furthermore, the device has a V-LogL display feature with Hybrid Log-Gamma.
The Panasonic offers a one-year limited warranty to the USA and Puerto Rico. However, you can claim the warranty if the cameras have any defects due to workmanship. But if you damage any parts of the camera or any scratches on the device, you can’t claim the free service.
Panasonic GH5s is the upgraded version of the GH5, but we recommend the GH5. That’s because this device includes image stabilization, a better image sensor, 6k photo, post focus, and other fantastic features. Therefore, this device will take your photo and videography to the next level compared to the GH5s.
Furthermore, it is a budget-friendly camera, people with tight-budget also who want to upgrade their photography skills can consider the GH5.
But if you are seeking a camera for video shooting, then you should select the Panasonic GH5s.
Frequently Asked Questions about Panasonic GH5 vs GH5s
|How does the Sony SD card perform?|
It performs very well, and it is capable of taking the 4K at 60fps, also, it can shoot the 120fps in 1080p.
Can I use these devices while charging?
You can use it, but it would be better if you do not use the device while charging, instead, you can purchase a dummy battery.
Which includes the post focus feature?
The GH5 mirrorless camera includes the post focus, while the GH5s does not.
Does this camera have a US warranty?
Yes, Panasonic offers a one-year US warranty to their devices.
What is the continuous recording time on the GH5s?
It depends on the SD card, video quality, and bitrate settings.
Find more related comparison articles here –
- Nikon D5500 vs D5600
- Nikon Z5 vs Z6
- Panasonic Lumix G7 vs G85
- Canon R vs RP
- Sony a7s ii vs a7r ii
- Sony a9 vs a7riv