Both Roomba 891 and 980 offer several enormously useful and convenient features. But I recommend Roomba 980 as it performs impressively better than its competitor. Let’s explore the qualities and attributes that help you to pick the best one.
Why Roomba 980 is Better?
- The dustbin capacity of Roomba 980 is 600 ml, which is double of Roomba 891. In contrast, Roomba 891 has only a 300 ml dustbin capacity.
- Roomba 980 can run up to 120 minutes, whereas Roomba 891 can run half of Roomba 980, only 60 minutes. So, 120 minutes is sufficient for a vacuum to clean the whole house entirely.
- It uses the vSLAM and Smart Mapping Technology that is missing in 890. The mapping feature helps the device itself map its around and start cleaning in a neat row. Contrary, the 891 can only detect obstacles and stairs but cannot map them.
- Roomba 980 has 10x suction power; in comparison, Roomba 891 has only 5x suction power. The 10x power of the Roomba 980 improves the pick-up performance; also, it will automatically increase the cleaning performance on the floors or carpets.
Though Roomba 891 and 980 have some identical features, there are some other advanced functions that make Roomba 980 a better option for you.
- Roomba 891 and 980 offer the users a 3-stage cleaning system that effortlessly cleans the dirt and pet hair you see and the allergens & dust you usually don’t.
- Both vacuum cleaners come with Advanced Dirt Detect sensors that easily recognize dirty spots and provide additional cleaning in those areas.
- They allow automatic recharging. It usually takes 2 to 3 hours to get the batteries fully recharged, and they use a lithium-ion battery.
Comparison Chart: Roomba 891 vs 980
|Specifications||Roomba 891||Roomba 980|
|Editor’s Rating||4.4 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Dimensions||13.9 x 13.9 x 3.59 inches||18.6 x 16.8 x 5.2 inches|
|Weight||10.08 pounds||11.48 pounds|
|Dust bin capacity||0.2 Gallons||0.8 Gallons|
|Navigation technology||iAdapt||iAdapt 2.0|
|Runtime||Up to 60 minutes||Up to 120 minutes|
|Dual-mode virtual wall barrier||No||2|
|Extra filter and side brush||No||Yes|
|Recharge and resume||No||Yes|
|Clean map reports||Yes||Yes|
|Dual Multi-Surface Brush||Rubber||Rubber|
|Automatic docking and charging||Yes||Yes|
Similarities and Differences of Roomba 891 and 980
Roomba 891 and 980 both are round in shape, and the height is 3.6 inches, which means both will go under most of the furniture to clean. So it can clean every inch of a room effortlessly. But Roomba 980 looks a bit stylish in comparison to Roomba 891. Another significant difference between the products is their dustbin capacity.
The dustbin capacity of Roomba 980 is 600 ml, whereas the dustbin capacity of Roomba 891 is only 300 ml, which is half of Roomba 980. Roomba 891 is 13.9 inches long by 13.9 inches wide by 3.59 inches high, and its weight is 10.8 pounds; in contrast, Roomba 980 is 18.6 inches long by 16.8 inches wide by 5.2 inches tall, and the importance of Roomba 980 is 11.48 pounds.
Run time and Charging
On a full charge, Roomba 891 is able to run up to 60 minutes, whereas Roomba 980 can run up to 120 minutes. Both devices allow automatic recharging. It usually takes 2 to 3 hours to get the batteries fully recharged. Both of them use a lithium-ion battery, and when needed, you can recharge the battery.
Both the robots are designed to capture up to 99.9 percent of dust, pet hair, and pollen. The devices’ filtration system can capture tiny particles, allergens, dirt, dust, and so on. If you have pets at home, you can go with the 980 since it has better suction power.
Mapping and Navigation
Roomba 891 has intelligent sensors that allow it to detect obstacle sensors and stairs. If the device finds any obstacle on the go, it will change the direction. Whereas Roomba 980 uses vSLAM and Smart Mapping Technology, the vacuum creates a map it’s around to clean entirely.
Both the devices can clean hard floors and carpeting. To get contact with the surface, both the products possess Auto-Adjust heads, which help the devices adapt to your flooring’s height. Through the iRobot Home app, the devices can set a schedule, and they can give you information after cleaning. The app will notify you of the approximate cleaning time of the floor. Roomba 980 has 10x suction power; in comparison, Roomba 891 has only 5x suction power.
Smart operation and scheduling
These are smart devices and allow you to connect them to the iRobot Home App and will enable you to operate them from anywhere you are. By connecting the devices with Google Assistant and Alexa, you can get the notification right after cleaning. It will also let you know how much time is needed to clean your house, also provide tips and tricks on how you can improve cleaning.
Additionally, these can be operated via Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands. Paired the devices with the robot, and then just asked them to start or stop cleaning or change the direction, and so on.
Both of them offer a one-year limited warranty, including a 30-days guarantee; if you are not satisfied with your choice, return them to the manufacturer. But remember one thing, Roomba doesn’t provide a warranty outside North America.
If you search for smarter navigation, a bigger dustbin, strong suction power, and long-lasting battery life, Roomba 980 is for you. This will reduce your stress from cleaning your whole house. But if you are satisfied with an overall better performance robot vacuum, you can go for Roomba 891. But keep in mind, you will not get all those cleaning conveniences from the 890. So if you want those features, then go for the upgraded version.
Frequently Asked Questions about Roomba 891 and 980
|Is there any difference between Roomba 891 and Roomba 980?
Both the robot vacuum cleaners are the same. The main difference between the two robots is the Faceplates, and the 980 models come with a Dual Mode Virtual Wall in the box.
How many square feet does the robot be able to clean?
Roomba 891 can clean almost 800 square feet.
Does Roomba 891 require Alexa to run?
No, Alexa is optional for this robot vacuum, but if you want to use then ensure you have an Alexa device.
Does Roomba 891 need Wi-Fi?
Yes, Roomba 891 requires Wi-Fi to operate through the phone remotely.
Can Roomba 980 pick pet hair?
Yes, it can pick up pet hair, and it is equipped with 10x suction power, so it will pick any microns, allergens, dirt, and dust from the floor.
If you want to read more articles about Robot Vacuums, then go here.
- iRobot Roomba 980 vs 985
- iRobot Roomba 891 vs 890
- iRobot Roomba 671 vs 690
- Roomba e5 5134 vs 5150
- Roomba 671 vs 675
I am working in the Kitchen Industry for the last five years, as well as with Baby Care items. My motive is to help readers find the best Kitchen essentials or whoever needs to purchase Baby Care Items.
I utilize my knowledge to help people get the best within their budget range.
I love trying different dishes so I have to purchase different kinds of crockeries. So, I am pretty sure I can provide you with the information on what you should look for when purchasing any Kitchen Essentials.
Before going to the market, ask yourself a few questions to make your purchasing process easier.
- How often do you need to cook?
- Do you have a large family or a small one?
- Your budget.
- Can you compare products?
And when you want to purchase any Baby Items, then ask yourself -
- How old is your baby?
- The material.
- Your budget.
You can check out some of my writings on Kitchen Items and Baby Care as well. I describe the features in detail for your convenience.
Follow or ask me anything about Kitchen or Baby Items on social media.
- Sony2022.06.01Sony a7 vs a7r – Learn Why Sony a7 is Better than a7r!
- Coffee & Espresso Machine2022.05.30Breville Infuser vs Barista Express – Check & get the best one
- Baby Monitor2022.05.30Nanit vs Nanit Plus – Check what make Nanit Plus Best Monitor!
- Cookware2022.05.30All Clad D5 vs Copper Core – Which cookware should be your pick?