If you are looking for the best camera between Sony a6100 and Canon m50, I recommend choosing Sony a6100.
Why I Recommend Sony A6100?
- Sony a6100 comes with 425 focus points, while Canon M50 comes with 143 focus points. The higher focus point gives the image sensor a better probability of identifying the right area of the scene.
- This camera has a 24.2MP APS-C Exmor sensor (size- 23.5 x 15.6mm) that delivers incredible color, sharp details, and stunning dynamic range. In contrast, M50 contains a 24.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor (size 22.3 x 14.9mm), which isn’t effective as a6100.
- A6100 belongs to a Fast Hybrid AF that brings high speed, accuracy, and tracking performance to meet the impressive autofocus for 4K movies. On the other hand, M50 provides a regular autofocus system.
- Its continuous shooting speed is 11fps which takes action or fast-moving shots effortlessly. On the contrary, Canon M50 provides 10fps shooting speed.
- Sony can shoot video in 2160p x 30fp, whereas Canon M50 records in 2160p x 24fp. Thus, a6100 provides 25% better video recording quality.
- It provides a stunning battery life that takes 425 shots with a single charge, while M50 can click only 235 pictures.
- This camera supports the AVCHD format, which is a file-based format for the digital recording and playback of high-definition video. On the other hand, the Canon M50 does not support this format.
These are the features that make the Sony a6100 is the best DSLR camera compared to the other one. So, you can also consider this digital camera for you.
Similar Features of Sony A6100 vs Canon M50
- Sony A6100 and Canon M50’s screens can be flip-outs that are ideal for high & low-angle shooting and reviewing your shots instantly.
- They come with a touch screen feature that is necessary to get smooth and continuous focus tracking of your subject.
- Both cameras have a stereo microphone that allows you to record audio without any external microphone.
Quick Comparison: Sony A6100 vs Canon M50
|Specification||Sony a6100||Canon m50|
|Editors Rating||4.9 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Product Dimension||6.18 x 5.67 x 4.53 inches||2.3 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches|
|Continuous shooting speed||11 fps||10 fps|
|Compatible mount||Sony E mount||Canon EF-M mount|
|Weight||13.9 ounces||13.7 ounces|
|Screen size||3 inches||3 inches|
|Has a touchscreen||Yes||Yes|
|Has an AVCHD format||Yes||No|
|Has a CMOS sensor||Yes||Yes|
|Has timelapse function||Yes||Yes|
|Battery Life||420 shots||235 shots|
|Battery Power||1080 mah||875 mah|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Similarities & Differences Between Sony A6100 vs Canon M50
If we look at both cameras’ sizes, we can see that the Canon m50 is bigger than the Sony a6100. But in the weight, the Sony a6100 is heavier than Canon m50. An ideal camera mainly depends on their body weight and size.
Sony a6100 body weight is 13.9 ounces,and external dimension is 6.18 x 5.67 x 4.53 inches besides Canon m50 weight is 13.7 ounces,and external dimension is 2.3 x 4.6 x 3.5 inches. Both cameras have a hot shoe used for attaching an external flash and light meters, viewfinder, and other attachments.
Sony a6100 has 3 inches tilting screen, and the Canon m50 has 3 inches fully articulated screen. Their screen can be flip-out for the tricky shots, and you can operate these devices with your finger via touchscreen. These devices support the flash feature. A flash is suitable for low-light environments. Both cameras have an electronic viewfinder feature.
Canon m50 and Sony a6100 both cameras come with the same sensor resolution 24mp-APS-C Cmos sensor. But if we see closely, we know that the Sony a6100 has a 1×1 larger sensor area than Canon m50. A larger sensor gives the photographer more control over the depth of the field.
The number of lenses is also an essential factor for any camera. There are 146 lenses for the Sony a6100 Sony E mount and 23 lenses for the Canon m50 Canon EF-M mount. In this section, the Sony a6100 is one step ahead of the Canon 50.
Image stabilization is another important feature of any camera. Canon m50 has an image stabilization feature that means all the lenses mounted on their body are stabilized. On the other hand, the Sony a6100 does not have this feature. So you can get extra lenses for image stabilization. There are 32 lenses for image stabilization.
The maximum video resolution makes the video sharp and clear. This camera video resolution is 2160p x 30fps and canon m50 video resolution is 2160p x 24fps . both cameras have timelapse functions, which allow long recording passage of time to speed up.
Canon m50 has phase detection autofocus for the video that makes the video more sharp and clear. Unfortunately, the Sony a6100 does not have this feature. This camera supports slow-motion video recording.
For a professional photographer, battery life is an essential part. In this section, the Sony a6500 is one step ahead of Canon m50. This camera’s battery power is 1080 mah while Canon m50 battery power is 875 mah.
You can take 420 shots with this camera, and the Canon m50 can take 235 photos per single charge. Both cameras have a battery level indicator. You can remove the battery easily, and you can also recharge the battery.
Continuous shooting speed:
Sony a6100 can capture 11 photos per second, and Canon M50 captures 10 images per second. The higher continuous shooting speed is more beneficial for action shots. In this section, the Sony a6100 is won.
In the box:
With canon m50-
- Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens (Black)
- Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens (Graphite)
- Canon LP-E12 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 875mAh)
- Canon Battery Charger LC-E12 for Battery Pack LP-E12.
- Canon R-F-4 Camera Cover (Body Cap) for EOS M Mirrorless Camera.
With Sony a6100-
- Sony Alpha a6100 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
- Sony NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh)
- Sony AC Adapter.
- Sony ALC-B1EM Body Cap for E-Mount Cameras.
- Micro-USB Cable.
- Shoulder Strap.
- Accessory Shoe Cap.
- Eyepiece Cup.
Canon and Sony provide a one-year warranty facility on their cameras. If there is any default, repair, or replacement, they cover it after the contract with them. Check the warranty card for knowing in detail about the warranty facility.
You may have already made your decision about which camera is best for you. A bigger sensor size, larger focus point, extra battery life, and other feature makes Sony a6100 best. I suggest you buy a Sony a6100. In some cases, Canon M50 is also a good choice. In the end, it is totally up to you which camera you choose for yourself.
Frequently Asked Question about Sony A6100 vs Canon M50
Can this Sony a6100 camera record 30 minutes at a time?
Yes, there is no 30 minutes limit.
Can you use a plug-and-play USB microphone?
External microphones are typically connected via the microphone jack or the hot shoe but not the USB port.
Is there a built-in flash?
Yes, it has a built-in pop-up flash. If you are interested, we have a used but virtually brand new one priced at a significant discount on hand.
Does this model allow you to exceed the 30 minutes limit?
Yes, You can record limitlessly.
Read more related articles here –