If you are confused about choosing the best camera between Sony a7 II & Sony a7 III, I suggest you choose Sony a7 III because it comes with some improved features.
Why I suggest Sony a7 III?
- You will get a more durable battery backup on the Sony a7 III. This device will last for 610 shots. On the other hand, the competitor can be used to click up to 350 shots with a single charge.
- It is capable of shooting 2160p videos with a cinematic vibe. In contrast, Sony a7 II does the same job at 1080p resolution.
- The ISO range of the Sony a7 III is 100-51400 which will help you to maintain image details and cut noise for a better quality image. In comparison, the ISO range of the Sony a7 II is 100-25600.
- Sony a7 III comes with a 3.0-inch touchscreen tiltable display. Thus, you can easily track the focus of an object, while the Sony a7 II has a tiltable LCD.
- This camera has a total of 693 focal points, while the other has just 117. The Sony a7 III can make it easier to track and monitor an item.
- There won’t be any problem with memory space during using this device as this camera comes with dual memory slots. Sony a7 II has a single memory slot.
- Sony a7 III comes with an Eye AF feature both for the human and animal eyes that will provide you better portraits. Unfortunately, Sony a7 II is not compatible with this feature.
These are the unique features that keep the Sony a7 III ahead in the comparison. If you want to hold the right one, go for the Sony a7 III.
Similar Features Between Sony a7 II vs a7 III
- They both have a 5-axis image stabilization that ensures shake correction to provide noise-free images.
- The cameras have a similar sensor model. So, you will be able to capture breathtaking imagery and video.
- The devices have a tiltable display that makes it easy to photograph over crowds, or low to capture pets.
- They come with a full-frame sensor that gives you various shooting needs with high-quality imaging capabilities.
- Both of them are compatible with the Sony E mount which is well-suited for video shooting, with a variety of movie-friendly features.
You will get these functionalities with both Sony a7ii and a7iii cameras. But if you want the super performance with advanced features then you have to pick Sony a7iii.
|Specifications||Sony a7 II||Sony a7 III|
|Editor’s Rating||4.7 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|Sensor||24.3MP CMOS||24.2MP Exmor CMOS|
|Display||3-inch tiltable||3-inch tiltable touchscreen|
|Battery Life||350 shots||610 shots|
|Shooting Modes||APS-C full-frame||Continuous Hi+ AF-S|
|Optical Sensor Size||Full-Frame||Full-Frame|
|Compatible Mountings||Sony E||Sony E|
|Product Dimension||5 x 2.36 x 3.78 inches||5 x 3.88 x 3 inches|
|Product Weight||1.32 lbs||1.44 lbs|
|Warranty||1-Year of Warranty||1-Year of Warranty|
Differences & Similarities: Sony a7 II vs a7 III
The devices are integrated with the latest sensors for a better quality output. Sony a7 III comes with a 24.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated structure. The full-frame sensor will provide you a high-resolution image and video. The other one, Sony a7 II, has a similar sensor version with a 24.3MP sensor resolution.
These cameras do a very fine job of continuous shooting. Sony a7 III captures at 10fps with AF/AE tracking. This device can be used to shoot 177 JPEG or 89 compressed RAW images. For live-view shooting, you will get eight frames per second. The other device, Sony a7 II, isn’t a great device for continuous shooting. This device will provide continuous shooting at 5fps.
Sony a7 III is a winner in this section as well. This device comes with a wider range of ISO that is perfect for capturing images in any light condition. The ISO range of the Sony a7 III is between 100 and 51200, and the ISO is between 100 and 25600 for the Sony a7 II. Sony a7 III has a broader range of ISO for the expandable mode as well. This range of Sony a7 III will help you click better images in daylight and low-light.
In terms of the display, Sony a7 III has a 3.0-inch tiltable touchscreen display. The display can be tilted up and down for flexible framing and monitor the focus during a shot. On the other hand, Sony a7 II comes with a tiltable display, but you will miss the mentioned advantages as this one isn’t a touchscreen.
You will get stunning portraits as the devices have an upgraded AF feature. Sony a7 III comes with an Eye AF feature that can be used with the AF-C mode for fast and effective eye tracking. This will help you to track moving objects with more efficiency. The other one, Sony a7 II, comes with an ordinary AF feature but doesn’t have the Eye or Animal Eye detection feature.
Sony a7 III comes with a silent mode that will allow you to capture photos in absolute silence. This feature made this device perfect for the wildlife genre. This device will be ideal for you, plus ensure you not missing any shots. Silent mode is also effective for newborn photography. Unfortunately, the Sony a7 II doesn’t come with this feature.
Sony a7 III is perfect if you prefer the video quality with the image quality. This device is capable of shooting videos in 2160p. The unit has 2.4 times higher oversampling, so the consistency will undoubtedly please you. This camera has a new HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) sensor that supports instant HDR workflow. Sony a7 II records videos at 1080p; thus, you may not get satisfied with the output.
The devices are designed to eliminate every type of shake for a superb quality output. Sony a7 III has a high-precision stabilization unit capable of compensating for 5 types of camera shake with a wide range of lenses.
The gyro sensor and the algorithms would help you get a decent image & video even if there was any shake during the recording. Sony a7 II also comes with the 5-axis in-body stabilization. As the Sony a7 III comes with the updated one, you will have a better result on this one.
Durability & Warranty
The devices are perfect for any occasion. You will be able to use them for an extended period. There were no complaints about the Sony cameras’ longevity. The manufacturer, Sony, will provide you with a 1-year warranty.
Sony is undoubtedly one of the finest camera manufacturers. Sony a7 II & Sony a7 III are integrated with all the essential features for a perfect output. If you want superb image quality with video quality, then Sony a7 III is the perfect choice for you. You may consider the Sony a7 II if you are looking for a decent image quality device.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7 II vs a7 III
|Does the a7 III shoot videos at 2160p?|
Yes. This camera shoots 2160p videos at 24fps and 30fps.
Do they support the Sony E mount?
Yes. Both of them are compatible with the Sony E mount.
Is the display tiltable?
Sure. The display is tiltable for 90-degree up and 45-degree down.
Do the devices come with any lenses?
You can choose the lens model while purchasing.
What type of batteries are included with the devices?
They come with pre-installed lithium-ion batteries.
Read more comparison about the DSLR camera from the below links –